Brain Evolution System Forum - http://forum.brainev.com/

Author Topic: Potential dangers of brainwave entertainment  (Read 2585 times)

Mirek

• View Profile
Potential dangers of brainwave entertainment
« on: February 21, 2015, 02:16:24 am »
Hi guys, I've just found this board while searching on the Google for some answer on how to interpret my brain behavior after 1 year of ongoing brainwave entertainment.

I found this blogpost which is somewhat very much related to my current situation ( http://holosync2011.blogspot.com.au/ ) and I would like to get some input from people who have been doing years of brainwave entertainment with BrainEv, Holosync or any other technology which deals with moving your brain all the way into delta state.

In my case, after I reduced my use of this technology (Holosync in my case too) to every 2nd/3rd day and now completely stopped I am experiencing the same sensation in my head:
- magnetic headbuzz, it's a feeling similar to the one when you have when older type of TV is running
- increased sensitivity to the high-pitched sounds, my hearing seems to bee too sharp now
- ongoing whistling in my left ear (now sometimes it goes to right ear), I keep thinking I've developed tinnitus.

The funny thing is that sometimes there's no headbuzz and whistling in my ears - from what I noticed it's most obvious in the morning after I wake up (when you sleep your brain wave patterns change so I guess It has something to do with that)
- occasional headaches but not ongoing ones in different parts of head, very random

I would really appreciate some experienced users to comment on that, this technology gave me lots of benefits in regards to my anger management so I would like to carry on, maybe try something else like BrainEv but with my current state I don't know whether it would be a good idea for me.
I really hope I didn't mess my brain and these feelings will slowly fade away, I was reading somewhere that what I am currently experiencing after taking this break is called 'Language of Life' and it's supposed to be normal...

Inedible

• View Profile
Re: Potential dangers of brainwave entertainment
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:01:53 am »
You might say that I am a long term user of entrainment. I started out with Kelly Howell's work on cassette tape and I have completed Holosync's 12 levels (plus Awakening Prologue, of course). I have made a couple of my own Mp3s using products by Transparent Corp. I have completed BrainEv including trying Level 7. I have also tried a few random short term products. Currently I am really enjoying iAwake products. It was something like 20 years ago now that I first started using entrainment.

Bill Harris knows that there can be difficulties. There used to be retreats for that reason. People could come and have everything taken care of for them, like meals, so they could focus on working with stronger entrainment than normal and really push themselves. Having a support system in place can help with entrainment and meditation in your regular practice as well. The other thing is that it helps to use the supporting practices like alternate nostril breathing and the cross crawl. Bill Harris calls it overwhelm, when the side effects of pushing yourself too hard catch up with you. The hardest thing is to recognize it when it is just starting to happen. It can happen with more traditional approaches as well. The way out of overwhelm is to go forward, through it. Trying to make it stop or go away or otherwise resisting it makes it stronger.

Mirek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:15:52 am »
Hey Inedible thank you for your input!
From your point of view as a user who completed all levels of this program:
- Do you think it was worth for your personal growth, what's the biggest change that you're most happy about after finishing entire program? (especially if you think about that 1 hour / day commitment over the many years)
- Did you experience any physical side effects, such as headaches, ear problems, headbuzz, ect. along the way?

I understand that upheaval is part of the process but the big question is whether that technology is actually good for your health, especially brain health - I don't want to be dependent on something for the rest of my life and when I come off of it I feel like there's something not right and my life becomes ongoing upheaval because I don't have that 'artificial' brainwave stimulation anymore.
I feel like the longer my break is I start to feel better, more natural I do lots of sports to counter this brain mess, your body is your mind and vice versa.

It could be overwhelm for my brain, one of the main reasons I cut down on Holosync in the first place was because I decided to try subliminals, maybe it was too much for my brain to handle.
But effects of Holosync were getting weaker and weaker every month so I was planning to stop it anyway especially it's 1 hour gone out of my day and I'm very busy person.
Yes I do breathing exercises, Yoga, lots of sports (mountain bike, gym, swimming, running, ect.)

I feel like I won't go any further with Holosync I found lots of controversial information about this technology too (did lots of reading on this forum).
Currently i'm giving my mind a longer break and if I feel better I consider giving subliminals another go, people are having fantastic results with them and you can just play them when you sleep so there's my 1 hour back in the bank to do sth else in that time.

One more quote to end this post, found on another forum:

Holosync is a delta- sub delta protocol, which are thought to sooth the Amygdala and the Hypothalamus, both involved in the fight or flight response. It is a very primitive part of the brain involved in the most basic of survival instincts. It can be very helpful for stress relief, hypertension, deep meditation and sleep induction. However, for those who already have an abundance of slow waves such as those with ADHD or depression, it can have a negative affect. Especially when carried out for years, as Centerpoint advocates.

For those individuals, beta/SMR protocols or even gamma will give the best results.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:49:39 am by Mirek »

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:39:50 am »
Hi Mirek,

I did several levels of Holosync and stopped as I did not like the effects it was having on me.  Maybe these things would have cleared up if I had done all 12 levels, but that's a long time and a lot of money to find out....

While using it, it did notice at a few different times a "ringing" in my ears similar to tinnitus.  I suspected, but was not (and still am not) sure it was caused by Holosync.  This would sometimes last many weeks.  Fortunately, it is not an issue for me now.

Although I experienced some difficult times, I have been much happier with BrainEv (except for level 7 which reminds me too much of Holosync in both it's design and effects).

Best Regards,
Infinite

Mirek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:06:29 am »
Thanks again, wishing you all the best with BrainEv, I might consider doing it too at some point in the future but for now I need to do more research on this topic.
Maybe I'm actually person who has abundance of slow waves and in the long run this kind of technology won't do any good for me (i don't have ADHD but I do have lots of energy and occasional depressions).
I'm about 1.5 week free from Holosync and subs alltogether and starting to feel slightly better (ringing in ear decreased, headbuzz was only in the morning today), it's probably overwhelm like you said in the first post.

Inedible

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:54:58 am »
The longer I used Holosync, the better my meditation became without the entrainment. That was the most positive gain. It got to the point where my experiences were frequently better without the CDs even at the last level of the program. It just felt too rigid in the sense that either I went along for the ride or I didn't. With doing the meditation on my own I could respond to changing situations like interruptions or sudden noises. Sometimes I might suddenly remember something that happened during the day and get to thinking about it and I'd be back in beta and I just couldn't get back into my Holosync and I might not have time to start over just then. The other direction became more common the more I practiced - my experience suddenly seemed to deepen and that was also taking me away from the path of the entrainment.

Was it worth the money? I don't know. I didn't just use Holosync once per day. I sometimes used it three or four times, and I repeated the Immersion track like they said to keep it going longer. The important thing was that my responses to people and situations were improving when I wasn't meditating. They continued to do so after I stopped using Holosync. Then I switched to BrainEv and it seemed to push my emotions more than Holosync ever did, with only one use per day. At that point I began to wonder if I should have saved my money instead of buying Holosync.

In addition to entrainment going down to delta and epsilon, I also use entrainment for beta and gamma. Especially beta, and with isochronics so I could listen without headphones. I had a job that let me play music as long as I didn't disturb anyone in nearby rooms. I would ride the bus to work and use headphones and switch to speakers when I got there. I had weeks with close to 100 hours of beta. Gamma was another matter. Excessive use of gamma gave me headaches and made me irritable.

That leads me to side effects. The more I used entrainment, or the more I meditate without it, the more sleep I seemed to need. I consistently read that it is the other way around, but it just doesn't seem to work that way for me.

Hearing sounds is a side effect of increased concentration. There is a branch of Yoga called Nada Yoga that centers around listening to external and then internal sounds.

If you are comfortable talking about energy, meditation tends to result in an increase of energy in your system. In a way it acts like electrical energy. When there is resistance, it generates heat. Excessive energy trapped in the head can cause headaches. Thinking or reading excessively can do the same thing. Excessive energy can also become stuck in the heart or other organs, with different side effects depending on how and where the energy becomes stuck. Other imbalances result from lack of energy, because of the energy being blocked from going where it needs to go. Acupuncture has always been helpful for me when things get to be bad and I can't get things balanced on my own fast enough for my liking.

Mirek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:39 pm »
My responses improved too during the time I used Holosync, biggest thing for me was that it has reduced my stress and anger levels. I started to put myself in the other 'person shoes' in many situations.
But like I said before after Awakening effects started to fade away, sometimes I just couldn't wait for the 2nd 30min to end (before I really enjoyed being in delta state, didn't want to move, sometimes I would just fall asleep) so I guess that was a sign from my brain to take a break.

I want to try different things in my personal development but at the end of the day we have to listen to our bodies, if something doesn't feel right, it's no point in doing it blindly.

I will look into Nada Yoga, seems like something that could be very interesting to me.
Interesting paragraph about energy, there are some good bioenergetic exercises which help to charge your body, I learned them from Elliot Hulse Youtube channel (look up Daily Bio-Energizer Warm Up Routine)

Follow us on Twitter