Brain Evolution System Forum - http://forum.brainev.com/

Author Topic: How much is too much self-development  (Read 2792 times)

Esteban

• View Profile
How much is too much self-development
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:25:10 pm »
Hello all,
For all you self-development enthusiasts, I have a question.  I recently fell victim to the economy and, in the interim, have decided to work overtime on building a better me.  Much of that entails brain development.  I have certainly heard of too much training is overload which yields zero gains.

That said, check out my schedule and tell me what you think.  I admit, it keeps my feeling like I am carrying a 40 lb weight on my shoulders. lol

I start out with a 45 minute combo of P.T.M.R. (Pseudo Telekenisis and Mental Rotation warmup of 10 min) and Image Streaming. 

Next, I do a combo of two computer programs - a 10 minute daily speed read building exercise and a 40 minute audio/visual brain development game.  Both work the brain and you can feel it.

Next, I do a 45 minute online spanish class/program.

Next, I do the brainwave evolution session before going to bed.

Of course I don't do these back to back - I spread them out over the course of a day -  but still, maybe it is a bit much.

My question is: given all that (since I am mixing it up) - and the extra stimulation from reading the news online and searching for a job online, as looking at the computer itself and reading is it's own form of brain exercise - am I setting myself up for failure/no gains?   
Does all this hinder my progress with the Brain EV system?

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts.

demistify

• View Profile
Re: How much is too much self-development
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:04:53 am »
I don't know my friend - but I'm a firm believer in taking it slow, not forcing things into happening and "less is more".

Karl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:48:13 pm »
Bloody hell!

I'm surprised you have time for lunch!! :)

Each of these processes definitely has value, but I suspect you're going into overload. And if you feel like you're carrying a massive weight on your shoulders - YOU ARE. So throw some of it off.

Image Streaming is great, but it's effects are similar to BrainEv [lesser so, in fact]. So perhaps ditch that for now. I suspect PTMR is similar.

Consider just spending a half-hour on general "personal development" a day... so, one day, do speed reading, the next take your Spanish lesson.

And for BrainEv, just wake yourself up *half-an-hour earlier* than normal, and listen before you actually spring into action. You'll feel better than just having that extra half-hour asleep. This is "free time."

That's what I'd do... and your actual time spent per day on this stuff is therefore reduced to an effective half-hour.

If you're NOT following your bliss... If you're NOT feeling as though you're seriously LOVING the process... DUMP IT, and move on.

Hope my blunt advice helps! Feel free to ignore :)

Best wishes,

Karlos

PS. Too much self-development can also occur when people think they're broken and need to be fixed. I don't think this applies to you, Esteban, but here's a video I created which may help some people reading this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2TiWwAjCg

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:57:30 pm »
I loved the video Karl!

I rarely read any "self-help" material anymore. After all, no one can point me into what's my bliss.

Karl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:00:10 pm »
Precisely. The realization is that you need none of it.

You get onto it - and you then get off it, if you've done it right!

:)

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »
Exactly. I loved what example Joseph Campbell gave in the DVD's about how you always first have to learn the rules and then get rid of them in order to truly create on your own. Well, it did sound better from him (I think he gave artists as an example). But I loved because I always thought that way - first you learn the rules, you follow them and once you start getting it you just sort of throw them away and create your own rules to live by. Once you get experienced enough (or maybe some sort of shrewdness, insight, maybe even enlightenment) then you actually start "getting" it on your own terms. I remember a quote by Einstein that after a certain age books may have an opposite effect. ;) A lot of people I discussed this with don't really get it this way though.

Karl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:30:58 am »
It's interesting, but I just posted this quote on my Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/karlmoore

"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Matches precisely.

:)

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:48:41 pm »
"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Beautiful!

nkkie123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:25 am »
yes i would agree with karl to this..but i also want to share my thoughts, that is, it would be better if you take one or just less programs at a time..maybe you mind over fed due to too much programs to process

Esteban

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:03 pm »
Good stuff!  Thanks a million!

nkkie123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 05:52:22 am »
I don't know my friend - but I'm a firm believer in taking it slow, not forcing things into happening and "less is more".
yes. I agree with this thought.

Follow us on Twitter