Brain Evolution System Forum - http://forum.brainev.com/

Author Topic: CD or MP3?  (Read 7412 times)

demistify

• View Profile
CD or MP3?
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:14 pm »
Hey guys I was wondering - do you listen to the CDs or MP3s? Personally I use the MP3s as I don't have a CD player and plugging to the PC or stereo system lacks the mobility, which in turn means I cannot find the perfect spot to relax...

So what are you using?

nedgoddess

• View Profile
Re: CD or MP3?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:50:30 pm »
ipod for me, also I upgraded to soft, in-ear headphones.  I am tuned in with no distractions whatsoever.
;-)
Neda;-)

Dean

• View Profile
    • The Murphy Home Front
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:05:47 am »
So far it's been MP3 for me.  Sometimes from my ipod and sometimes listening from my computer.  I was a little concerned about the loss of some audio data in the MP3 but was told that wouldn't be an issue.  I've been very happy with the results.
We are an incredible mixture of that which changes endlessly and that which endlessly does not change.

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:34:49 am »
Well the MP3 format has been actually designed to reduce the size of audio data by cutting out everything that the human ear CANNOT perceive so the only loss of data I see from not using the CD is probably waves that are not heard by our ears but received by other receptors in the form of physical vibrations... but that's just my cents.

I'd be interested to hear what Karl and the team have to say about this theory.

Karl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:25:31 pm »
Hello Gang!

You're absolutely right: sometimes ripping to MP3 format can cut out the non-audible stuff.

We've created special MP3 versions however that incorporate all of the benefits, without any of the reduction issues you'll find with rippers such as iTunes or Windows Media Player.

You can download those by clicking the link in your welcome e-mail.

Karl

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:42:23 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that! The MP3 is much more convenient as you can take it anywhere with you and now that you've straightened up things I'm at peace.

y2kfireman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:32:16 pm »
I have a smart phone. Which also plays MP3 music downloaded from Itunes or whatever you use. I've found it very helpful at times. When I miss my listening session, to just find a quiet comfortable place and plug in my earbuds. Works great! Most cell phones have this option, even if it isn't a smart phone. Quality is great because its MP3. Just something to consider.

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:13:54 pm »
Yep, that's how I do it a lot of the times! ...and my phone isn't an OS based one - just a plain ole' black Nokia 6300 - a classic I would never give up on! It's just so stylish and elegant  ;D ;D

Just make sure you don't add any equalizer effects - eg. all the scales/knobs should be in the middle, and your headphones are stereo, usually they are, especially if it says L (left) and R (right) on them!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:15:27 pm by demistify »

0kys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:44:03 pm »
Karl

Are you saying that even by ripping my cd at the maximum quality they arent as good as the downloadable version?

they are the same size ie around 70mb?

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:53:41 pm »
Well, I'm no expert but unless Karl's people did some "outside" editing of the audio the MP3 compressing codec is the same so the results must be the same. At the maximum quality I suppose it should leave pretty much all the data intact (if not all like ZIP or any other text-data compressor does).

awapax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »
Hello Gang!

You're absolutely right: sometimes ripping to MP3 format can cut out the non-audible stuff.

We've created special MP3 versions however that incorporate all of the benefits, without any of the reduction issues you'll find with rippers such as iTunes or Windows Media Player.

You can download those by clicking the link in your welcome e-mail.

Karl

If you want to be on the safe side, do what Karl is suggesting in the first place,
use the original MP3 downloads from the link given in the welcome e-mail for your gadget
and the original disc for the cd-player, can't nothing go wrong with that, ehh  8)

Andrea

ps wouldn't let no ripper get near my disc's, when it comes to BrainEv, sounds so painful  ;D

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »
Yes, I also think it's best to use the official BrainEv MP3's just to stay on the safe side. As for ripping your CD's for backup purposes - I don't see a problem. Don't let the terminology scare you - the CD is simply being read and then written onto another one. If you use the CDs it's a good idea to make a backup copy of them as CDs do wear out with time because of all kinds of physical forces.

successteam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:12:29 am »

... in summary, (but, I could be wrong.) the best of both worlds is to use the original MP3(s) and save the CDs as backup.  ;)

demistify

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:17:04 am »
I don't know about summary but just the mere thought that tomorrow morning I'm going to listen to BrainEv again excites me beyond imagination!

successteam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 03:10:16 pm »
I don't know about summary but just the mere thought that tomorrow morning I'm going to listen to BrainEv again excites me beyond imagination!

Yeah, I hear ya!  I try to contain my excitement, least I attract weird looks at work though.  :D

Follow us on Twitter